Please ascertain VISA requirements before finalising your travel plans.
- All nationals of Botswana, including children, require a visa to enter India.
- Visa fees are non-refundable. The High Commission reserves the right to decide duration of visa irrespective of the fees tendered at the time of making application.
- Visas can be applied for in person or by post at the High Commission of India in Plot 5375, President's Drive, Gaborone, Botswana. Visa application forms can be collected free of charge from the Consular counter of the High Commission of India from 8.00 a.m. to 11.30 noon. Mondays to Fridays (except holidays).
- Specific visas are granted for a variety of purposes. The principal types of visas issued are mentioned below. Please contact the High Commission of India for further details if you are visiting India for purposes other than tourism, such as journalism, conferences, yoga, voluntary work, mountaineering or other expeditions. The visa application form is however the same. This may be downloaded and used after completion by the applicants.
The High Commission of India in Botswana issues Tourist, Entry, Employment, Business, Student and other types of Visas to holders of Botswana passports and holders of passports of other countries resident in Botswana.
Visa can also be issued to persons who normally do not live in the jurisdiction of this Consulate after obtaining clearance from the Indian Mission in the country, in which the applicant normally resides. This could take up to five working days and the applicant is required to pay an additional fax/Telex charge.
Tourists wishing to visit India will normally be granted tourist visas for up to six months, effective from the date of issue. Tourist visas are non-extendible and non-convertible. There is no extra charge for multiple-entry tourist visas.
All applicants for TOURIST VISA are required to fill out an application form and provide two recent Passport size photographs, one of which needs to be pasted on the application form and signed across. Each application form must be accompanied by the travel schedule and original confirmed return ticket.
Student and Employment Visa
Persons seeking STUDENT VISA are required to submit a copy of the letter of admission from one of the recognized institutions and two recent photographs along with their application form. In some cases clearance from the Government of India is required before grant of Visa. Applicants for Student Visa are advised to apply well in advance.
Business Visas are normally granted for 3 or 6 months. However, it is possible to obtain multiple-entry Business Visas for up to 2 years validity for technicians/experts going to India in pursuance of bilateral agreements or joint venture projects having government approval.
Applicants for BUSINESS VISA have to submit application form, two photographs along with a letter from the Firm/Company which they represent and is sponsoring them and a letter from the Indian Company with which business is to be transacted. (All in duplicate).
Transit Visas are valid for halts of up to 72 hours in India within 14 days from the date of issue of the visa and must be obtained before departure. Transit Visas cannot be obtained from immigration counters at ports of entry in India. Evidence of onward travel to a destination outside India is required.
Entry Visas are issued to persons of Indian origin for duration of up to 5 years. These can be obtained, depending on the purpose of visit and eligibility, on a case-by-case basis.
Please Note:Persons holding long term visas (having validity exceeding 6 months) are normally expected to stay in India for a maximum of 6 months during each visit. If the stay in India is to exceed 6 months, registration with Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within 15 days of arrival in India is mandatory.
JOURNALISTS and those seeking Visa for RESEARCH or FILMING in India have to fill in separate forms and provide additional information detailed therein. Clearance for such visa has to be obtained from the Government of India and therefore applications should be submitted at least 8-10 weeks in advance.
Each visa application is considered on its merit and the High Commission of India may ask for additional information at any stage during the processing of the application. Submission of application along with prescribed fees does not guarantee issuance of visa.
Visa Fees for most applicants:
- Transit Visa $ 10
- Tourist/Business Visa (six months) $ 40
- Tourist/Business Visa (one year) $ 65
- Tourist/Business Visa (five year) $ 130
- Student Visa (upto 5 years) $ 75
- Visa for American Nationals $ 150
- Emergency charges for issue of visa after working hours (add $ 35)
- Visa for SriLankans(6 months validity) $ 40 for Single Entry and $ 80 for Double Entry.
NOTE: Visa fees are fixed in US Dollars but paid in Pula. Please bring Pula equivalent of the fees fixed in US Dollars. Only payments in Pula are accepted. South African nationals are exempted from visa fees.
Indian Visas can be obtained in Botswana from the High Commission of India at the address mentioned below:-
Mr. Charles Toppo,
High Commission of India
Plot No 5375, President's Drive,