• Home
  • >
  • Types of Visa

Types of Visa



  • According to the existing instructions by the Government of India, a Tourist Visa can only be granted to a foreigner whose aim of visiting India are a visit to meet friends or relatives, sightseeing, recreation, casual visit, etc.
  • Travelers with any other purpose/activities will not avail Tourist Visa.
  • Applicant’s Tourist Visa cannot be extended or converted. Misuse of Visa on Arrival would lead straight to deportation.
  • Maximum validity for Tourist visa for foreign tourists is 6 months.
  • Tourists applying for tourist Visa, repeatedly, are not acceptable.
  • Foreign Nationals, holding Tourist Visas with double or multiple entry facility, can use this facility within a time period of two months.
  • In case a foreign tourist requires to visit the country again within a period of 2 months, he she has to obtain special permission from the concerned Post/Mission. These requests are considered on the basis of merit and are treated differently in each case.
  • For the development of an endorsement, tourists will have to pay Miscellaneous Consular Service fee.


Foreign tourists who are nationals of Japan, New Zealand, Finland, Singapore, Philippines, Luxembourg, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia and Vietnam can avail Tourist Visa-on-Arrival.

For tourists, Visa-on-Arrival is valid for a maximum period of 30 days with Single Entry facility. The Immigration Officers at Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Trivandrum, Chennai, Bangalore, Kochi and Hyderabad will provide this facility.

US $ 60/- or equivalent sum in Indian Rupees per applicant.


  • Tourist Visa-on-Arrival will be non-convertible and non-extendable.
  • If a foreign applicant marries an Indian national during validity of his/her tourist visa on arrival, the Visa can be converted to ‘X visa’. For Such conversion, following conditions must be followed:
    1. Tourist must submit a copy of Registered Marriage Certificate
    2. Report must be submitted from concerned FRO/FRRO regarding tourist’s marital status.
  • If an applicant falls ill, during validity of his/her tourist visa on arrival, the Visa can be converted to ‘Medical visa’. For Such conversion, following conditions must be followed:
    1. Tourist must submit a copy of his/her medical certificate
    2. Tourist must be of a legal age to carry a medical Visa
  • A tourist can avail Visa on Arrival only twice in a calendar year


The Tourist can NOT avail Visa-on-Arrival at any Immigration Check Post (ICP). They will be provided only at following designated airports namely – Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Trivandrum and Kochi.


All Business Visa applicant must be a resident in Nepal for at least 2 years

  • If the period of permanent residence of an applicant in the country of his/her origin or the country of his/her domicile is for more than two years, the concerned Indian Mission will provide the applicant with Business Visa.
  • Foreign business personalities wishing to establish a business/industrial venture or exploring the possibilities for this purpose, can apply for Business visa.
  • Tourists wishing to sale and purchase industrial product can apply for Business visa.
  • Businessmen visiting India for short duration to attend business meeting/negotiations generally avail Business Visa.
  • Seeking employment opportunities with Business Visa is illegal.
  • Foreign businessman visiting India for short visits and not looking to stay for long duration, they use Business Visa.
  • Foreign businessmen visiting India to execute projects/ contracts will not be allowed to have Business Visa. The applicant may apply for Employment Visa in Indian Mission in his/her country of origin.
  • Foreign national who has been granted the Business Visa can apply for X Visa for his/her family which remains valid as long as the Business Visa is valid.
  • Proper documents must be provided to endorse business when applying for Business Visa. These documents are:-
  • Registration Certificate of the Company
  • The applicant’s position in the company
  • Invitation letters by Applicant’s company giving details about the business visit to India including nature of business, expected stay duration, locations and organizations in India to be visited
  • Copy of Business Registration Certification issued by the Nepal authorities


  • Foreign students wishing to study in India, can apply for Student Visa, if the educational institutions/colleges in which they are applying in, are recognized by Government of India. The course they are pursuing must also be recognized.
  • Proper documentations regarding the recognition of the college/institution and the course must also be confirmed by the students before seeking admissions.
  • The Student Visa is valid only till the term period for the pursued course.
  • The education authorities in India must provide a certificate indicating the full term of the course and the year in which the student has applied.
  • Previous academic records with proof and proof of admission to the Institute/Course must be submitted.
  • If the candidate is already pursuing studies in India, then he must submit the student Certificate.
  • Academic certificates on the basis of which the admission has been granted must be submitted. Evidence of Financial support from bank/parent/guardian to bear the expenses must also be provided.
  • Proof of transfer funds for a minimum of 4 months expenses in India must be provided by the applicant.
  • It is illegal to use tourist Visa to seek admission in India. Tourist Visa cannot be converted to Student Visa.
  • If the student provides a provisional certificate of admission in institution/college in India, he will be provided with a provisional student visa which is valid only for 3 months. If proper certificates are not submitted within the stipulated time, he/she must leave India immediately.


All Employment Visa applicant must be a resident in Nepal for at least 2 years

  • Applicant must submit a Copy of the Employment Agreement/Contract provided by the employee/company in India.
  • Applicant must give an evidence of the company’s registration under Government of India.
  • An applicant must also submit a letter provided by the employer that indicates the job’s nature, salary and duration of the job.
  • The foreign applicant should also provide a justification letter from his employee suggesting the reasons for the hiring of a foreign candidate. The applicant must also submit evidence of his prior work experience and educational qualification.
  • The family of the applicant will be granted Visa only after the confirmation of the applicant’s Employment Visa. A marriage certificate and birth certificate(s) must be enclosed along with a copy of applicant’s Employment Visa.
  • In case of an extension of employee in a company, duration of validity of Employment visa can be extended.


  • Foreigner traveling through some other destination can apply for transit Visa, if stopping at India for a while, before reaching his/her final destination.
  • The duration for Transit Visa’s validity is 15 days. It should not be exceeded more than 03 days.
  • If, staying in India for more than 03 days, the applicant must apply for an appropriate Visa.
  • A document detailing the applicant’s travel plan along with copy of confirmed tickets must be provided.


  • Any foreigner applicant can apply for Research Visa if he/she is undergoing a research expedition in India. The applicant must apply in concerned Indian mission, and submit a document detailing the subject of his/her research project(s), places required to be visited, admission documents in recognized institutions, evidence of financial support and any prior visit to India.


The Documents that must be submitted by the applicant for a Conference Visa are:

  • Copy of the Invitation letter from the organization.
  • A document detailing Security clearance and permission letter from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India.
  • Approval by Nodal Ministry.
  • Document detailing Political clearance and permission letter from the Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India.
  • Clearance letter from the concerned State Government.


  • Foreign journalists working in recognized media organizations can visit India for professional work but they must apply for Journalist Visa beforehand.
  • All journalists have to undergo a round of an interview before receiving their relevant Visa.


  • Foreign spouses of Indian nationals having a permanent residence in India can apply for Entry Visa, if they wish to live in India with their wife/husband.
  • Applicant must provide with the copy of his/her Indian spouse’s passport which endorses his/her name on it. Also, a copy of marriage certificate must be submitted as well.
  • Foreign national who has been granted the Business/Employment Visa can apply for X Visa for his/her family which remains valid as long as the Business/Employment Visa is valid.
  • Duration of validity of XV can be extended in India.


Foreign Nationals who are planning to come to India for their procedures/treatment, they would require MEDICAL VISA. In order to apply this visa they need to submit following documents.

  • Original medical reports detailing reasons for requirement of treatment in India and passport copies of both attendant and patient
  • A visa letter indicating the hospital/clinic name where the foreign national is intending to seek treatment. It should be on hospital letter head which includes doctor's name, appointment date and treatment details etc

Click here for more details


If a foreigner is intending to stay in India for more than a time period of 180 days, he/she must be registered under the government of India, All foreigners visiting India under Medical/ Medical Attendant/ Employment/ Research/ Student/ Entry/ Business Visas must get themselves registered.

  • Tourist must get himself/herself registered within 14 days of arrival in the country by the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in India.
  • A foreign national is not registered by endorsement on passport or through the acceptance of disembarkation card by Immigration officials on his/her arrival. Immigration officials in India provide a separate Certificate of Registration if/when all the terms and conditions are fulfilled.
  • Whenever a foreigner is departing from India, he needs to show the certificate of registration to the immigration officials. If/when the foreign national is not expecting any other visit on the same Visa, he/she must submit the certificate of registration at the port of departure.