All foreign nationals, including children require visa to enter India. This High Commission has jurisdiction over New Zealand, Republic of Samoa, Republic of Kiribati and Republic of Nauru.
Visas can be applied for in person or by post at the High Commission of India, 180 Molesworth Street, Wellington by persons resident in New Zealand, Samoa, Kiribati and Nauru. The applicants not ordinarily resident in New Zealand may also apply for visa. However, processing of their applications will take a minimum of three working days from the date of receipt of the application.
General Requirements for Visa
Please read the following requirements carefully:
- Original passport valid for at least six months
- Visa fee - payable in cash only at High Commission's Counter or by bank draft in favour of High Commission of India, Wellington payable at Wellington.
Personal cheques, company cheques and credit cards are not accepted. It may also be noted that fees once received will not be refunded under any circumstances, even if the application is withdrawn by the applicant or services are not provided, as his/her case does not qualify for that particular service.
- For any request for grant of visa in emergency after office hours and on holidays, an additional amount of NZ$ 50/- is charged. Such services are provided only in case of genuine emergency, such as death or serious illness in the family.
- Two recent passport- size photographs
- Supporting documents, where necessary
- Duly completed visa application form signed by the applicant himself/herself
- A self-addressed return courier pack, if application is made by post
- For a tourist visa, a copy of air ticket or confirmed itinerary should be enclosed.
- For business visa, a letter/invitation from Indian company or business dealing proof to be attached to the application.
- An additional fee of NZ$ 20/- is payable by all applicants who are not permanent residents of New Zealand and persons of Sri Lankan origin applying for visa on Sri Lankan or any other passport.
- US passport holders are required to add NZ$ 50/- to their visa fee.
- Visa fee once paid will not be refunded even if no service is rendered.
- Incomplete visa applications will not be processed.
TYPES OF VISAS
Persons wishing to visit India for sight-seeing or meeting friends/relatives are normally granted six months tourist visas, effective from the date of issue. Tourist visas are non-extendable and non-convertible. Fee for Tourist Visa is NZ$ 90/-.
Transit visas are valid for halts of up to 72 hours in India within 15 days from the date of issue of the visa and must be obtained before departure. Transit visas can't be obtained from immigration counters at ports of entry in India. Evidence of confirmed onward travel to a destination outside India is required. Fee for Transit Visa is NZ$ 25/-.
Business visa for three/six months with single/multiple entries is normally issued to those who go to India for business purposes. A letter from the sponsoring company stating the purpose of visit, places and organizations to be visited and duration of visit is required to be submitted along with the visa application. Fee for issue of short-term visa is NZ$ 90/-. Multiple entry business visas from one to five years are granted to foreign businessmen who have set up industrial/business joint ventures in India. For this, the applicant is required to submit a letter from sponsoring company and a letter of invitation from the Indian counterpart company along with visa application. Fee for grant of one year business visa is NZ$ 150/-, and for more than one year NZ$ 300/-.
It is normally issued for duration of the course of study. The applicant should submit proof of admission to a recognised educational institution in India. The fee for issue of student visa is NZ$ 170/-.
Employment visa is issued to those who are taking up assignment/employment with companies registered in India. A copy of employment contract and proof of registration of employing company are to be furnished. Employment visa is granted initially for a period of one year, extendable further by the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in India, if the job contract continues. The visa fee is charged on the basis of the period of the employment visa applied for.
Conference visa is granted for the duration of the conference to those who are going to India for attending conference/seminar etc. A copy each of the letter of invitation and the Government of India's permission for holding the conference are required for the purpose of processing grant of conference visa. The visa fee is NZ$ 90/-.
It is issued to foreign nationals of Indian origin for a period of six months to five years. This type of visa entitles its holder for a continuous stay in India up to six months on each visit. For continuous stay in India for more than six months (180 days), the holder is required to register himself/herself with the FRRO within two weeks of arrival in India.
Journalists and media persons traveling to India for work-related purposes need special clearance. Please contact the Visa Section of the High Commission for further information.